Thursday 15 August 2013

Borough Market, London

Each time I visit London at the weekend I simply cannot leave without going for a wander around the infamous food market just down the road from the London bridge tube station...for food lovers out there, it seems to just have the most incredible vibe which is hard to explain until you visit. Despite the flocks of crowds which accumulate through the day (which, undoubtedly, can be somewhat off putting), I can assure you it is worth a special trip; the produce is varied and second to none in its quality, I challenge you to leave without buying anything!

One of many entrances to Borough Market
It is thought that a reputable food market has been in Borough since the 13th century, however due to its close location to the river, it is thought traders have been attracted to this very spot to sell their fish, grains and livestock from as early as 1014. From humble beginnings this market has now grown to 'house' over 100 stalls selling all manner of fresh, local produce, as well as internationally inspired treats consisting of cured meats and chutneys to name but a few.

Some of the stalls
 The market itself is HUGE! I have been three times already and I'm still convinced I haven't seen it all as each time I go I spot something new and exciting. I suggest if you have a few hours to kill, look at the map and really enjoy exploring all of the nooks and crannies. The stall owners are all extremely passionate about their produce and are more than happy to give you a taste of what they offer if you ask!

Beautiful Conservatory area

What always strikes me about the market is the huge variety and quality of the produce on offer. Grocers, Butchers and Fishmongers provide you will all the fresh produce you could ever dream of, but as well as that, there are countless deli style charcuterie stalls, cheese mongers, artisan bakers, chutney and spice sellers and bakeries selling sweet treats to tempt you to part with your hard earned cash!

Street Food

If there is one solid piece of advice you take from this review it should be this: go to Borough Market hungry! In fact, turn up absolutely starving because the choice of street food is incredible. I spotted Greek wraps, paella, gourmet game burgers, raclette, pieminster pies, and posh bangers, and I was only there for a short while. As well as this there are stalls selling fruit smoothies, and desserts, and also even bars dotted around so that you can enjoy a beverage at the same time.

One of the bars inside the market.
To finish off I have put a few more pictures I snapped last time I visited the market, as you can clearly see it is a feast for all of your senses, and a really good, free (unless, like me, you are tempted to buy everything you see) and authentic foodie experience. I highly recommend heading to Borough market if you are in London on a Friday or Saturday and see for yourself what I'm making such a fuss about!

Charcuterie
Cheese
Fruit Stall




Fishmonger
Sweet Treats



No comments:

Post a Comment